Recipe by Mareesme
These impressive appetizers are from a recipe given to me many years ago by a friend that I tweaked a bit. They are pretty to look at and yummy. I save them for special occasions, since they are time-consuming to make. I usually remove pea pod strings and make filling the day before and stuff them the next day.
- 1 lb fresh pea pods
- 3⁄4 cup peas, from pods or 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse pea pods, then remove string at edge of each peapod to open, Remove peas from peapods and set aside in measureing cup.
- Wrap peapods in paper towels and refrigerate in plastic bag until ready to fill.
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature.
- If reserved peas do not measure 3/4 C, add frozen peas to make correct amount. Add peas to softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Mix well. Put a bit into a peapod, taste, and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Chill filling until it appears easier to work with.
- Using a pastry tube or teaspoon, fill each peapod.
- Refrigerate to firm up filling, then serve on a pretty platter gaarnished with grape tomatoes, pineapple slices or whatever to "color it up".
- A very pretty and tasty finger food -- .