Prep 35 mins
Cook 55 mins
This dish has lots of cheeses, beef and sauce into stuffed pasta shells that are mouthwatering!An excellent pasta dish for supper! My husband and I have been making it since college, and now our children love it!! Freeze the leftovers for a precooked meal!
- 1 lb ground beef (or sausage)
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (25 1/2 ounce) bottle Prego spaghetti sauce (with meat)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 (12 ounce) box San Georgio jumbo pasta shells
- In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs and milk.
- Whisk well.
- Add one cup mozzarella cheese, all ricotta cheese, all Parmesan cheese, and browned ground beef (or browned sausage).
- Mix well.
- Put egg/beef/cheese mixture into cooked shells in oven safe dish (eg. Corningware); add spaghetti sauce to layer.
- Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil loosely.
- Bake 350°F for 50-60 minutes or until bubbling!
I just tried the stuffed pasta shells and they were easy to make but I did find the taste a little bland. Next time I think I will cook onion and garlic with the ground beef to add a little extra flavour. My family enjoyed them just the same and they did look impressive. Also, if cost is a factor for some people, I found they were expensive to make as ricotta cheese is costly. The whole recipe cost me nearly twenty dollars to make!
This was my first time making but I read the reviews and decided to add onion, garlic and green peppers to the stuffing. It was delicious. Would actually add some oregano or parsley to the stuffing. Also made a meat sauce to go over finished dish. Added sauce to the bottom of baking dish and on top of shells and it stayed moist.
This was also my first time making stuffed shells and so I followed the recipe closely, however using my own tomato sauce and adding spices like dried basil, oregano and marjoram and chili pepper flake to the ground beef while it browned. Besides keeping in the oven for15 minutes too long, they turned out great and our friends loved them too! I'd definitely make these again- thanks for the recipe!