Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
These stuffed onions are a popular vegetarian dish served with fresh crusty bread and a crisp salad. They also make a very good side dish for meat dishes. Pics are before placing on BBQ, basically look the same when they are done as the filling is pretty much already cooked.
- Preheat Barbeque.
- Cut a slice from the top of each onion and scoop out the center to leave a fairly thick shell.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir to mix, moistening with enough white wine to bind the ingredients together well.
- Use a spoon to fill the onions, then wrap each one in a piece of oiled foil.
- Bake in the barbeque for 30- 40 minutes, until tender, turning the parcels often so they cook evenly.
- Serve te onions garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
For taste, this recipe wins top marks. It's an onion lovers dream, and comes out very moist. It's also easier than I thought it might be to prepare. The inside of the onions comes out quite easily with a spoon. But I did have a problem with the amount of stuffing. I made the original amount, but ran out way before my four onions were filled, so then I had to whip up another double batch to finish the job.