Recipe by Chippie1
These stuffed onions are a popular vegetarian dish served with fresh crusty bread and a crisp salad. They also make a very good side dish for meat dishes. Pics are before placing on BBQ, basically look the same when they are done as the filling is pretty much already cooked.
Top Review by Sackville
For taste, this recipe wins top marks. It's an onion lovers dream, and comes out very moist. It's also easier than I thought it might be to prepare. The inside of the onions comes out quite easily with a spoon. But I did have a problem with the amount of stuffing. I made the original amount, but ran out way before my four onions were filled, so then I had to whip up another double batch to finish the job.
- 4 large onions
- 4 tablespoons cooked rice
- 4 teaspoons fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Barbeque.
- Cut a slice from the top of each onion and scoop out the center to leave a fairly thick shell.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir to mix, moistening with enough white wine to bind the ingredients together well.
- Use a spoon to fill the onions, then wrap each one in a piece of oiled foil.
- Bake in the barbeque for 30- 40 minutes, until tender, turning the parcels often so they cook evenly.
- Serve te onions garnished with chopped fresh parsley.