Recipe by Ppaperdoll
From "Everyday Food" magazine. We often have a glut of onions from our organic box and I though this looked like a tasty way to use them up quickly. Will try soon with a salad for a light supper.
Top Review by Little Squirrel
We made this for Thanksgiving dinner tonight and we thought the stuffing was quite delicious! The only change I made was to keep chicken stock in the dish all through the cooking instead of draining them half way through. I found the onions were drying out a bit too much, so by adding a little more stock and recovering them the last 5 minutes of cooking made them nice and tender. Thanks for the recipe!
- 4 medium yellow onions, peeled and hollowed (save insides)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 4 slices bacon, sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 slices white bread, torn in small pieces
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place onions cored side up in a baking dish.
- Add broth to bottom of dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 20 minutes until onions are just soft and remove from pan with slotted spoon.
- Drain liquid from pan and place onions back inches
- Chop reserved insides of onions and set aside.
- In medium skillet, cook baken until crisp, add reserved onions and cook about 10 minutes until onions are golden brown.
- Remove skillet from heat and add bread, cheese and parsley.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- Fill hollowed onions with mixture, pressing down with back of spoon. Bake uncovered 20- 25 minutes.