Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
You will love this with chicken or pork off the grill. This recipe may be started the day before and once the onions are grilled, cooled and stuffed, refrigerate and finish cooking when you grill the rest of the food.
- 3 large onions, sliced an inch thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 cups prepared herbed chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Saute minced onion and celery until soft.
- Add vegetables to dry stuffing mix and prepare according to package direction.
- Set aside.
- Coat onion slices with olive oil.
- Place on grill and brown on both sides.
- Cut out foil pieces that will be big enough to wrap around the stuffed onion slices.
- Sprinkle each foil squares with S, P and onion powder.
- Place a grilled onion slice on a tin foil square and top with prepared stuffing.
- Wrap loosely in foil and return packettes to the grill for 10 minutes or until onion slices are tender.
- If you would like to get fancy, parboil whole large onions for 5 minutes, scoop out middle and follow same basic directions for stuffed onion slices.
I made a large quantity of these onions. I parboiled and scooped out the centres of the onions instead of serving them as slices. This is a easy dish to prepare. These were delicious and very impressive. They went down very well indeed. I served them with grilled chicken. As a side dish the will go with any main courses. Next time I cook this recipe, I will be serving it with a piece of roast beef. A good addition to the menu for Canada national day. Thank you.
This is a different, very tasty, impressive side dish. I went with boiling them and then stuffing the onion cavity. These were a huge hit. It's different, and tastes great. This is basically a simple dish, but the presentation makes an impression. A keeper for sure.
Absolutely wonderful!!! These were a fabulous addition to my 4th of July menu. I prepped them ahead of time before heading out to grill the chicken. I didn't change a thing, and they were wonderful!!! EVERYONE loved them!! Thank you!! ~Manda