Recipe by yogi
One of our favorites! Spinach, cheese and onions... how can you go wrong?
Top Review by TifferCooks
This was wonderful. I've made it multiple times and have always gotten compliments on it. I use mozzarella and parmesan instead of cheddar (just because it was all I had), but I'm sure it would also be great as written.
- 2 large onions
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or more if you LOVE cheese)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each onion in half lengthwise and loosen center of each half.
- Remove inner piece to make a 1/2" thick shell.
- Finely chop onion centers.
- Saute onion in oil till tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Microwave spinach according to package directions then remove excess moisture.
- Add to onion, and stir in cheese.
- Place onion shells, cut side up, in microwave safe pan with 1/4 C water.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 5 minutes.
- Drain water and then spoon spinach mix into shells, re-cover, and microwave 7-8 minutes more or till tender.
- Let stand for 3-5 minutes.