Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you like onions, you will love this recipe. A take off of Stuffed Tomatoes.
- 4 large yellow onions or 4 large vidalia onions, peeled (about 6 oz ea)
- 5 ounces Italian turkey sausage links, mild or hot casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- Cut the stem off each onion, so that they will stand upright.
- Cut about 1/2" slice from top of each onion.
- In a medium pot, with about 1" of water, gently boil onions, stem end down.
- Simmer them covered about 20 minutes or until tender.
- When done, transfer onions with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with several layers of paper towels, drain.
- Then hollow out the insides of each onion (can use a melon baller), leaving 1/2" walls& bottom.
- Reserve shells& onion centers.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Finely chop the onion centers& set aside.
- Spray and heat a large non-stick frying pan with Pam.
- Add 1/2 of the chopped onion, sausage& garlic.
- You can discard or reserve the remaining onions for another recipe, if you like.
- Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently so that you break up the sausage (about 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned).
- Stir in bread crumbs, juice, sage, parsley& orange zest.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon 1/4 of the sausage mixture into each onion shell.
- Arrange stuffed onions in a medium sized casserole dish.
- Leave enough room to pour 1 cup of water in there.
- Bake 30 minutes, until lightly browned.