Recipe by Sydney Mike
These savory onions are made from a recipe found in the 500 ALL-TIME GREAT RECIPES cookbook. The can easily be made vegetarian by omitting the small amount of ham used.
Top Review by Debbwl
Tasty. The only problem with this recipe was the chef making it (yes I admit it the error came in my scraping skills). Vidalia Onions are a must and will cut poaching time down to 15 minutes. Made these yesterday for this evenings dinner and it worked out well. Thanks for the post. Made for 1`2`3` Hits.
- 6 large onions
- 1⁄2 cup ham, cooked, finely diced
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel onions without cutting through the bases.
- In large pot of boiling water, cook onions about 20 minutes.
- Drain & immerse in a pot of COLD water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & oil a baking dish big enough to contain the 6 onions without crowding.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut around & scoop out the central section of each onion.
- Remove about half the inside (saving it for soup or sandwiches).
- Lightly salt empty cavities, then let onions drain upside down.
- In a small bowl, beat the ham into the egg.
- Stir in bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, nutmeg & ALL BUT 3 tablespoons of the grated cheese.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the oil & season with salt & pepper.
- Pat insides of the onions dry with paper towels, then stuff them using a small spoon.
- Arrange onions in one layer in prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese & then with oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until onions are tender & golden on top.
- Remove from oven & serve hot!