Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Like onion? like stuffed cabbage? Try THIS !
- 4 -5 large yellow onions, UNPEELED (check farmers' market)
- 1 lb lean ground lamb or 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice, soaked in water 1/2 hr, then drained
- 3 ripe tomatoes, diced
- olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup beef stock
- Place whole unpeeled onions (bigger the better!) in a pot, cover with water. Bring water to boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cover and simmer the onions for 20 minutes. Remove, drain and cool the onions so you can handle them.
- Mix together the lamb or beef, add cinnamon, allspice, salt, pepper and rice. Mix well, then add tomatoes, gently mix again, being careful not squeeze juice out of the tomatoes.
- Cut the top and bottom from the cooked, UNPEELED onions. Slice into the onions by making a cup down the side of the onion that goes to the center of the onion. Remove the outer skin and then, VERY CAREFULLY, remove outer leaves.
- Place a big of filling into each onion leaf and roll, like a sausage.
- Add to hot, large frying pan coated with olive oil and brown. Add some beef stock and simmer 40 minutes covered.