Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Middle East style stuffed mussels.
- 2 kg mussels
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tomatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 lemon
- 5 onions
- Place the mussels in water and scrape the shells well all over with a knife. Then prise them open along the broad edge with the knife, and cut off the bristle without tearing the mussels away from the shell.
- Preserve the liquid from mussels.
- Rinse the opened mussels well with water.
- Chop onion and sauté in olive oil with pine nut for 15 minutes.
- Add rice; sauté further 15 minutes stirring.
- Add tomato; sauté further 5 minutes stirring.
- Add all spices and currants and 3/4 cup of mussel liquid (add watter if no enough liquid). Cook for 15 minute.
- Stuff mixture into each shell, place in baking dish. Add another 3/4 cup of liquid and bake or steam for 35 minutes.
- Serve with lemon.