Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Mussels are one of my absolute favorite foods- EVER! This is a completely different way to serve them. Prep time includes filling the mussel shells prior to serving. Posted for ZWT6.
- Thoroughly clean the mussels, removing any beards and discarding any mussels that will not close when tapped.
- Place the cleaned mussels in a large, deep skillet, sprinkle generously with salt, and add the wine plus 1 cup of water.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, and cook until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the mussel meat from the shells, keeping the shells and discarding any that did not open.
- Strain the cooking liquid and set one cup aside.
- in another skillet, saute the onion in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the rice, and cook for a few more minutes, until the rice is well coated with the oil.
- Add the reserved mussel cooking liquid, cover the pan, and let simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, until the rice is nearly done.
- Add the allspice and pine nuts, season with freshly ground pepper, cover, and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste the rice for doneness, and reseason if needed. Toss the mussel meat with the rice mixture very gently.
- Fill the reserved mussel shells with the rice mixture, making sure that each shell contains one of the mussel meats.
- Serve hot or chill to serve later.