Recipe by Shawn C
My mother-in-law gave me a recipe that I had tried way back at the beginning of the marriage. I did a little Emeril and kicked it up a notch! You can too--just use hot sausage instead of regular and add more pepper! Use the jumbo stuffing mushrooms!
- 1 lb sausage (i use jimmy dean)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (not grated!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (cut in half)
- 16 large mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown crumbled sausage in heavy skillet over medium heat until throughly cooked.
- Meanwhile wash and remove stems from mushrooms pat dry with paper towels all over (inside too).
- Drain very well and place in large bowl.
- Add cream cheese while meat is still hot, and mash together with a fork.
- Add garlic powder and 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Taste and add a little more pepper at a time until desired taste.
- Add parmesan cheese and mash until mixed well.
- Taste and adjust flavors accordingly.
- Stuff mushrooms by spoonfuls and pack down stuff just until even with top of mushroom until all are stuffed and then add any remaining stuffing to each mushroom.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To cook: Place on paper towel (to absorb water from mushrooms) on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high a few mushrooms at a time for 1 minute at a time, checking after each minute to see if the mushrooms are cooked and heated through (i.e., one mushroom alone would take 1 1/2-2 minutes).