Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is from "The Best International Recipe", from the Cooks Illustrated folks. You want mushrooms with caps about 1.5 - 2 inches in diameters.
- 24 mushrooms (white or cremini)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces manchego cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- Wipe the mushroom caps clean. Remove stems completely.
- Rinse the roasted red pepper. Pat dry. Slice into thin strips.
- Put oven rack in lower one-third of oven and preheat to 450. Line a baking sheet with foil. Toss mushroom caps with oil, salt and pepper. Lay gill side down on sheet. Roast until they release juices and shrink, about 25 minutes.
- Remove them from oven. Let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, flip, fill with cheese and place a few strips of red pepper on top. (At this point, they can be covered and chilled for up to 2 days. You may need to cook them a couple extra minutes tho.).
- Bake until mushrooms are hot and cheese is melted and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Remove to serving platter. Sprinkle with parsley and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Between the green of the parsley and the red of the roasted red peppers, this would make a perfect appetizer for a Christmas party! However, we brought it to a New Year's Eve hors doeuvres party, and it was the first thing to disappear! Can't get whole creminis easily where we live, so used white 'shrooms. A definite crowd pleaser.
This was a really nice appetizer! We halved the recipe with great results. I especially loved the taste of the manchego cheese with the roasted red pepper. We used cremini mushrooms in this dish. I will definitely make this appetizer again. Made for ZWT5. Thanks!
Oh my goodness, these are soooooo goooood! Made them tonight and my son and I just killed them before they even cooled down. Didn't even have time to sprinkle on the parsley, they are that good. Will definitely be making these again and real soon. Made for ZWT8, The Wild Bunch.