Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a yummy appetizer, adapted from Sara Moulton.
- 1⁄4 lb spanish chorizo, casing removed and then chopped
- 1 lb large white mushroom, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 slice white bread, cut into 1/4 inch squares
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (you can use manchengo if you can find it)
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a large baking pan.
- Cut off the stems from the mushroom caps and then chop the stems. Place the mushroom caps stem side down, into the prepared pan. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms release their liquid.
- Meanwhile, you can heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Then add the chorizo and cook it until it for about 3-4 minutes, or until it starts to brown. Take the chorizo out and reserve.
- Reduce the heat to med-low and then add the onion, cooking for about 4-5 minutes, or until the onion gets soft. Add the chopped mushroom stems and cook another 3 minutes. Take out the veggie mixture and add it to the chorizo. Let cool.
- Next, stir the bread, cheese and parsley into the chorizo and veggie mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the mushroom caps over and divide the chorizo mixture among them,making sure the mixture is mounded on each mushroom cap. Bake the caps for approximately 15 minutes, or until heated through.
I love both stuffed mushrooms and chorizo was excited to try this recipe and it did not disappoint. It turned out to be as delicious as I was anticipating. Thanks for the post.
Great stuffed mushrooms -- loved the chorizo! DH and I had appetizer night this evening and we made happy plates with this dish. Will definitely make these mushrooms again! Made for PRMR, November, 2013.