Recipe by Hadice
Delicious alternative to stuffed mushrooms with meat. Got this from a vegan friend several years ago. Choose your favorite variety of mushroom, I generally use white button mushrooms. Finely dice all veggies.
- 8 mushrooms, with stems
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small leek, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 ounces tofu, drained and diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Remove stalks from mushrooms and finely chopped. Reserve the caps.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based skillet. Add the chopped mushroom stalks, leek, celery, tofu, zucchini, and carrot and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in bread crumbs, basil, tomato paste, and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into mushroom caps and top with grated cheese.
- Place mushrooms in a shallow oven-proof dish and pour veggie stock around them.
- Bake for 20 or until mushrooms are cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately as an appetizer or on salad greens.