Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
No excuses! I have to make these mushrooms for Thanksgiving, at my SIL's house, but they are great anytime of the year. I've been making these for over 30 years now, so the recipe is from memory. Wish me luck!
- 24 white button mushrooms
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine (I like Rosato)
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- if using sweet sausage, I would use a white wine
- Wash mushrooms and separate caps from stems.
- Boil mushroom caps for about 5 mins, drain and set aside to cool.
- Using food processor chop mushroom stems Set aside.
- Remove sausage from skins
- In large skillet melt 1 stick butter.
- Saute chopped onions, and garlic until tender
- Stir in Italian seasoning.
- Add sausage chopping as it browns.
- Add chopped mushroom stems and 1 cup red wine
- Cover and simmer 15 -20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Turn flame off under sausage mixture.
- Slowly stir in bread crumbs.
- If stuffing mixture appears to be dry add a little more wine
- Stuff mushroom caps placing them in an oven safe dish.
- In small saucepan heat 1/2 stick butter and 1/2 cup wine.
- Spoon over stuffed mushrooms and bake for 20 minutes.