1 hr 20 mins
Kim Petro's Note:
No excuses! I have to make these mushrooms for Thanksgiving, at my SIL's house, but they are great anytime of the year. I've been making these for over 30 years now, so the recipe is from memory. Wish me luck!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 white button mushrooms
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups red wine (I like Rosato)
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- if using sweet sausage, I would use a white wine
- 1Wash mushrooms and separate caps from stems.
- 2Boil mushroom caps for about 5 mins, drain and set aside to cool.
- 3Using food processor chop mushroom stems Set aside.
- 4Remove sausage from skins
- 5In large skillet melt 1 stick butter.
- 6Saute chopped onions, and garlic until tender
- 7Stir in Italian seasoning.
- 8Add sausage chopping as it browns.
- 9Add chopped mushroom stems and 1 cup red wine
- 10Cover and simmer 15 -20 minutes.
- 11Preheat oven to 350.
- 12Turn flame off under sausage mixture.
- 13Slowly stir in bread crumbs.
- 14If stuffing mixture appears to be dry add a little more wine
- 15Stuff mushroom caps placing them in an oven safe dish.
- 16In small saucepan heat 1/2 stick butter and 1/2 cup wine.
- 17Spoon over stuffed mushrooms and bake for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Mushrooms by Kim
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.1
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 62.7 mg
- Sodium 1072.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian herb seasoning