Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These make a fantastic hors d
- 3 ounces day-old white bread, without crusts
- 2 scallions, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ounce dry monterey jack cheese or 1 ounce parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 48 button mushrooms, stemmed and cleaned
- Place white bread in food processor.
- Pulse until finely chopped; transfer to large bowl.
- Place scallions, bell pepper, and goat cheese in food processor.
- Pulse until finely chopped and well combined.
- Mix with breadcrumbs; stir in cilantro, half the grated cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, with rack in center of oven.
- Place mushroom caps face up in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Put a heaping teaspoon of breadcrumb mixture into each cap.
- Bake until mushrooms are tender 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven; set to broil, and position rack 4 inches from heat.
- Sprinkle mushrooms withe remaining cheese; broil until cheese is golden, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe can be made one day ahead of time for a big party.