Recipe by HeatherFeather
This is an appetizer I remember eating at many potlucks, family gatherings, and parties while growing up in NY state. Make sure you line the baking sheet with foil as these tend to ooze while baking. Adapted from "Best of the Best from New York Cookbook" by Quail Ridge Press.
- 20 large mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup italian seasoned dry bread crumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Wipe clean mushrooms with either a mushroom brush or a very slightly damp paper towel.
- Carefully remove stems from mushrooms and chop stems.
- Place butter and garlic into a heated skillet and let butter melt, stirring.
- Add chopped mushroom stems and saute until lightly brown.
- Add parsley,stir,and remove from heat.
- Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Add bread crumbs, stirring until mixture is crumbly.
- Lightly fill each mushroom cap with the sauteed mixture, but don't pack tightly.
- Set on a rimmed cookie sheet lined with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes.