Recipe by PanNan
The stuffing in this recipe is out of this world. It's flavored with bacon, onion, cayenne, garlic, etc. YUMMY! I always double the recipe because they go so fast. This was originally based on a recipe in Southern Living, and with the dash of cayenne it's truly a Southern recipe.
- 12 large white mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 44.37 ml butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 slice bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 354.88 ml plain breadcrumbs
- 0.25 ml cayenne
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Clean mushroom caps.
- In a large skillet heat oil and 1 tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chopped mushroom stems and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, bacon and fresh parsley.
- Toss to coat and cook for another minute.
- Remove from heat and add breadcrumbs, a half cup at a time.
- Add just enough breadcrumbs so that mixture remains moist.
- Season mixture with cayenne, salt and pepper.
- When mixture is cool enough to handle, stuff the caps.
- Place the stuffed caps in a baking dish and drizzle with 2 tbsp of melted butter.
- Bake for 12- 15 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve immediately.