Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Spinach, parmesan, and herb stuffing in mushroom caps make a delicious appetizer.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh large mushrooms (about 20)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped pimiento
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Thaw spinach, then drain well by squeezing excess liquid from it. Meanwhile, spray a cold 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick coating. Set baking pan aside.
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Set tops aside. Chop enough mushroom stems to make 2 cups. In a 10-inch skillet cook chopped mushrooms stems, onion, and garlic in margarine until onion is tender but not browned. Add thawed spinach. Cook over low heat until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Stir parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, pimiento, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper into spinach mixture. Spoon mixture into mushroom tops.
- Place stuffed mushroom tops in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.