Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are delicious as an appetiser, or great as an accompaniment to a main meal. Use the milk sparingly - mainly to ensure that the mixture isn't too dry. The recipe is courtesy of my mother.
- 15 medium sized mushrooms
- 3 slices ham
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheese (any sharp flavoured medium to hard cheese)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Wash and pat dry the mushrooms. Remove the stalks.
- Mix all the other ingredients together and stuff firmly into the mushrooms.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 10-15 minutes.
I made these stuffed mushrooms for Spring PAC 2009. This appetizer was different from the stuffed mushrooms I am used to, with the addition of ham, but they were tasty! I felt like they need a little extra flavor so next time I may add extra cheese and sautÃ©ed minced garlic and/or onion to the stuffing. I used leftover Easter ham and diced it, although the recipeâ€™s directions omitted that step. I guessed on the size of the ham slices too since it may mean different things to different people(thick or thin? What type of ham?) Overall, a quick and easy appetizer recipe although I did cook mine for 15-20 minutes in a 350 degree oven because some of my mushrooms were larger than medium sized. I will try this recipe again, thanks!