Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious, easy to prepare, side dish that's a little different.
- 2 large button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons red lentils, soaked over night
- 2 tablespoons pre- cooked rice (i.e. leftovers)
- 1 teaspoon pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 tablespoons grated monterey jack cheese
- Pre heat the oven to 375o.
- Place the lentils in a small bowl and cover with water. Cover and let stand over night.
- Remove the stems of the mushrooms and reserve them use at a later date. Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp cloth if necessary.
- Put the bacon grease in a skillet and bring it up to heat. Drain the lentils thoroughly, combine with the rice and pine nuts, and add to the skillet. Stir frequently to avoid scorching. Cook it for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Stuff half of the mixture into each of the mushrooms and pat down to compress it.
- Place the mushrooms on a cookie sheet and carefully spoon the cheese on top.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Watch it. You want the cheese to brown but not burn.