Recipe by Chickee
Great little nibbles! Make vegetarian by putting in some corn and vegemite, or just leave the bacon out. You can add some onion and garlic maybe too; perhaps some thyme would be also nice. You can stuff them a few hours before baking. From Women's Weekly, not sure which one. Aussie measurements. I use cherry tomatoes and put a slice on top.
Top Review by happynana
Very nice appetizer. I halved the recipe for DH and myself. I used Canadian bacon and topped with hot pepper cheese instead of cheddar cheese. Delish! Made For Auz/NW Swap #18.
- 375 g mushrooms, approx 2 . 5 cm in diameter
- 2 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon French mustard
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tomatoes
- 2 slices cheddar cheese, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stems from mushrooms.
- Remove rind from bacon, chop bacon finely.
- Heat pan, add bacon, cook until golden brown.
- Remove pan from heat, add grated cheese, mustard and breadcrumbs, mix well.
- Add lightly beaten egg and milk, parsley and salt and pepper, mix until well combined.
- Fill stuffing into cavity of mushrooms. You can be generous! Squash the filling over the top.
- Cut extra cheese slices into 1cm squares. Slice tomato, cut each slice into segments.
- Place one slice of cheese and one tomato segment on each mushroom.
- Place mushrooms on oven trays, bake in moderately hot oven 8 minutes or until cheese has melted.