Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mirlitons are a type of squash that is grown in Louisiana. This is a recipe for stuffing them with a shrimp and ham stuffing.
- 2 mirlitons
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 lb shrimp (cooked and chopped)
- 1⁄4 lb smoked ham (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- Boil mirlitons for 1/2 hour or until soft. Drain water and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a baking dish with 1/2 tbs. butter.
- When mirlitons have cooled,slice in half, lengthwise and remove the seeds carefully.
- Scoop out the mirliton flesh,leaving about 1/4" all around.
- Set the mirliton shells aside.
- Dice the mirliton flesh that was removed from the shells.
- Melt 1/2 tbs. of butter in a large skillet.
- Add shrimp,ham,garlic and spices.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the diced mirliton,evaporated milk, onion, green onion, and 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring well. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Spoon the mixture into the mirliton shells.
- Sprinkle the top each of the filled shells with remaining bread crumbs.
- Put the mirlitons in the baking dish and carefully pour chicken broth into the dish around them.
- Bake uncovered for 3o minutes.