Recipe by Melissa Spangler
Mirlitons are plentiful in Louisiana around November, so this is a great side dish for Thanksgiving. This is a family recipe from a friend of mine from New Orleans. Shrimp can be substituted for the ham in this recipe.
- 4 mirlitons
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 lb ham, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 loaf stale French bread
- 1 dash thyme
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer mirlitons until tender.
- Cut each in half, remove seeds and carefully spoon out pulp.
- Set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic& margarine until tender.
- Add french bread that has been soaked in water and squeezed until almost dry, then chopped.
- Cook a few minutes, then add thyme& parsley, continue to cook another 5 minutes.
- Add mirliton that has been chopped& mashed.
- Add salt& pepper.
- Cook 12-15 minutes, then add ham.
- Cook 8-10 minutes.
- Put in greased casserole dish& top with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- 1/4 lb.
- shrimp or 3-4 slices of bacon can be substituted for the ham.