Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a different way to prepare squash. I think it is great!
- 3 medium yellow squash, about 1 pound
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon ripe olive, sliced
- Cook squash in boiling water to cover 7 minutes or until tender but still firm. Drain and cool slightly. Remove and discard stems. Cut each squash in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4 inch shell. Reserve the squash pulp.
- Saute garlic, onion, green pepper, and jalapeno in olive oil until crisp-tender. Sir in squash pulp, and cook, stirring often, until liquid has been absorbed. Add chili powder, salt and pepper; remove from heat. Add Monterey jack cheese and sour cream. Stir well.
- Place squash shells in a lightly greased 12x8x2 inch baking dish. Spoon squash mixture evenly into shells. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Divide picante sauce, Cheddar cheese and ripe olives evenly among the squash. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
I had medium sized zucchini so used four. . The zucchini boats made an attractive side and the flavor is a nice change for one of my favorite veggies. Thank you for sharing the recipe! :-)
We loved this! I used zucchini instead and mostly cheddar and omitted the olives. Thanks for a new way to make zucchini! Made for ZWT 8
What a great preparation for squash! Different but easy to prepare. I used fat free sour cream and low fat cheeses along with yellow squash and peppers from the garden. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8