Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
A family favorite! I sometimes add in a layer of cooked sliced hard-boiled eggs on top of the meat mixture before topping with the stuffing.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup or 1⁄3 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 4 tablespoons milk
- seasoned salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 350 degree F.
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, milk, ketchup, minced garlic, Parmesan cheese; then season with 1 tablespoons seasoned salt, or to taste (or 1 teaspoon white salt or to taste) and pepper.
- Pat half of the mixture into prepared baking pan; set aside.
- To prepare the stuffing; saute the mushrooms, onions and thyme in butter for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add in the breadcrumbs, parsley, then season with salt and pepper to taste; saute until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
- Spoon over the layer of the meat mixture in the pan, then press down gently.
- Top with remaining beef mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
Yummy!! This was absolutely good, everyone loved these. My family and I really enjoyed it. I added the cabbage which I sliced finely to a filler. Meat juices are plentiful and are really delicious! The next wraps the egg which I boiled entirely. When I cut it, it will become the pure section. Thanks for posting! I will make again!
Delicious meatloaf! I did changed using the thyme and replaced it with a 2Tbs. of chopped green bell pepper, as we're not big on the thyme seasoning. I also added Montreal Steak Seasoning to the beef mixture and used the chili sauce. I used Recipe#245772 as a topping for this meatloaf, we really enjoyed it too. Thanks for sharing the recipe Kittencal!
After reading the other reviews, I decided to omit the breadcrumbs (and also I didn't have breadcrumbs). So I used about 1 lb of fresh mushrooms for the stuffing. I omitted the onion. I cooked them in olive oil. Thanks Kit for a tasty meatloaf. And it's very good looking LOL Made for 123 hit wonders.