Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are delicious and easy to make. Great for snacks or anytime. In Greece you can find them ready made in a market, but they are a jiffy to make at home.
- 15 -20 fresh store bought large white mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, mashed (optional)
- 1 cup pure olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 small hot red pepper, sliced (sweet pepper if preferred)
- 2 cups spicy soft cheese
- Carefully wash each mushroom under cold water. Make sure to remove any dirt from inside. Gently dry with a paper towel taking care not to bruise them. Leaving them wet will cause them to turn black and go soggy. Remove each stem and throw away.
- Fill each mushroom with the soft cheese and place in a deep dish or container upside down. Cheese must be a little thick in order to stay in the mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, salt, sliced red pepper, and grated garlic together. pour over the mushrooms until they are half ways submerged.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for a couple of days. For a little extra zest, add a couple of pickled onions. You can also decorate the mushrooms with sliced olives.
- Serve at room temperature.