Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from my Moosewood Low-Fat cookbook. This looks like a vegetarian recipe my dear other half will actually eat!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 1⁄2 cups leeks, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 20 ounces fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 14 manicotti or 1 lb pasta shells
- 3 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Stir in the garlic, leeks and water. Cover and gently sauté, stirring occasionally, until the leeks soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and basil. Cook, covered, for about 5 minutes, until the spinach wilts, stirring once or twice.
- Uncover and cook a few minutes longer on medium high heat to evaporate as much excess moisture as possible. Drain if necessary.
- Combine the mozzarella, Parmesan, ricotta and nutmeg with the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, 8-10 minutes. Drain well.
- Fill each manicotti and place in a lightly oiled 9 by 12 inch baking dish. Pour half of the tomato sauce over the manicotti and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve hot and pass the remaining sauce at the table.
so delicious, and easy! My entire family (including an 8 and a 5 1/2 year old boy) ate it!