Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I have only had this at a restaurant once at a place in Louisville called The Old Spaghetti Factory. It was so good, I stuffed myself bigger than the Manicotti! So, I came home and started playing around with a couple of recipes and this resulted. I think it's a delicious alternative to the heavy tomato sauce that's usually on Manicotti for the veggie-worshipers, there's no meat. Serve with a green salad and some garlic bread for a delicious meal. Looks like a lot of work, but it's really not and goes fairly quick. WELL WORTH IT!
- 10 manicotti, cooked and drained
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup real butter (no subs!)
- 1 cup cream (half & half will work in a pinch)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- garlic powder, to taste
- Prepare the alfredo sauce. Melt the butter in a med. saucepan. Whisk in cream and Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat, being careful not to boil or let stick. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the filling. In a small bowl, stir together ricotta, 2 1/4 cups mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg and seasonings.
- Make sure shells are drained well.
- Spread a thin layer of alfredo sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Using a pastry bag or zip-top bag, fill the shells and arrange them on the sauce. Pour the remaining sauce on top of the shells. Cover and bake for 35-40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 minutes more or until cheese is just melted, but not browned and manicotti shells are heated through.
Added two cups of sautéed portabella mushrooms...yummy! Next time will add spinach and chopped artichoke hearts...my favorites in so many dishes.
Excellent recipe. This dish had the ability to produce a glazed over look in my husband's eyes. I'm passing this recipe forward, and will use in the future. Thanks for posting!
Outstanding!!! I added italian sausage and next time will add shrimp. Also doubled the sauce and we love extra sauce. Will keep in my receipe box.