1 hr 20 mins
Gypsy Queen Cuisine's Note:
Delicious leg of lamb, stuffed and roasted in the oven, sweet and earthy, absolutely divine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -5 1/2 lbs leg of lamb, boned, and butterflied
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 -8 ready to eat dried figs
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) bag of pearled onions, peeled about 25 pearled
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F In a pan heat the olive oil and add the onion and garlic, cook gently until softened.
- 2Remove from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, figs, olives, almonds, lemon juice, parsley, rosemary and egg yolk.
- 3Trim away any excess fat from the lamb, pat dry, season with salt and pepper on all sides.
- 4Spread half of the stuffing evenly on the cut side of the lamb, roll to enclose and tie in several places with kitchen string to secure the stuffing from coming out.
- 5In a large skillet on high heat sear the leg of lamb on all sides about 3 -4 minutes on each side and place in a dutch oven. Add pearled onions around the lamb and roast for 1 hour 15 minutes. Baste the lamb from time to time with chicken broth.
- 6Form the remaining stuffing mixture into balls and add to the dutch oven around the meat, 15 to 20 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- 7Remove the lamb from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- 8Carve into thick slices and serve with the stuffing balls and onions, drizzle with pan juices.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Leg of Lamb With Figs, Almonds & Olives
Serving Size: 1 (512 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1180.1
- Calories from Fat 670
- Total Fat 74.5 g
- Saturated Fat 25.5 g
- Cholesterol 316.1 mg
- Sodium 2368.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 81.7 g