1 hr 30 mins
Delicious served hot but this recipe also makes a lovely cold-cut for sandwiches and light lunches. Found on britishfood.about.com. Posted for ZWT6.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs leg of lamb (1.5 kg if bone still in)
- 1 large handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 1/2 ounces cubed pancetta or 2 1/2 ounces bacon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 5 fluid ounces red wine
- 3 1/2 fluid ounces veal stock or 3 1/2 fluid ounces beef stock
- 2 teaspoons ice, cold butter cut into tiny pieces
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F/170°C/Gas mark 4.
- 2Remove string from leg of lamb and open out the joint, skin side down.
- 3Slash any thick parts of meat so the joint lays flat to the board.
- 4Evenly sprinkle the parsley, garlic and Pancetta over the surface, and then sprinkle generously with the olive oil.
- 5Season well with salt and pepper.
- 6Roll the joint back up and tie securely with kitchen string.
- 7Place the joint into a large roasting tin and cook for 1 hour (rare) 1 hour 15 mins for medium.
- 8Tightly wrap the joint in foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes
- 9Meanwhile, carefully pour off any fat from the roasting tin and place it on a medium heat on top of the stove.
- 10Pour in the wine carefully scraping up all the juices stuck on the bottom and reduce to a sticky glaze.
- 11Add the stock, stir well and reduce by half.
- 12Strain through a fine sieve into a small saucepan and add the butter and shake the pan gently until all the butter is absorbed.
- 13Check and adjust the seasoning.
- 14Slice the lamb and serve immediately on a bed of wilted spring greens, surrounded by the sauce.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Leg of Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.6
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 189.9 mg
- Sodium 163.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 52.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flat leaf parsley