1/2 Photos of Stuffed Kishka: (Kosher Stuffed Derma)
4 hrs 30 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
This dish is really DELICIOUS, even though my recipe for Stuffed Capon Skin is easier, and I think even better. Try them both. My recipe for the Stuffed Capon Skin is #92178 here on RecipeZaar. You may also want to use the Kishka stuffing and the Capon skin, therefore combining the two recipes. If you have questions e-mail me: AlanLeonetti@q.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 108 inches clean beef casings (buy at a Kosher butcher if you can find one or at a gourmet store)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon salt (for boiling)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper (for boiling)
- 1 cup melted schmaltz (chicken fat) or 1 cup chopped suet
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1Wash casings in cold water and cut into 12 inch lengths.
- 2Tie one end of each length tightly with white sewing thread.
- 3Turn casings inside out.
- 4Combine flour, matzo meal, seasonings and schmaltz or suet. Adjust the poultry seasoning to taste. You may wish to add additional poultry seasoning.
- 5Fill each casing loosely with this stuffing and tie the remaining end.
- 6Drop into rapidly boiling water and boil 10 minutes.
- 8When cool enough to handle, scrape fat off the casings with the dull edge of a knife.
- 9Drop into rapidly boiling water (about a gallon) to which you have added 1 tablespoon salt and at least 1 teaspoon pepper.
- 10Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 3 hours.
- 11Remove from water.
- 12Brown for about 1 hour around a roast or roasting poultry.
- 13(You can also refrigerate and then slice pieces about 1 inch thick and fry them on both sides.).
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Kishka: (Kosher Stuffed Derma)
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.5
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 29.0 mg
- Sodium 1756.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: