Recipe by grapefruit
I love this recipe, have made it many times over but don't remember where it comes from. It's a great way to make bitter gourds which are probably the least popular vegetables in the world. some people also do a meat stuffing, will post a different recipe for that later.
- 1 kg bitter melon
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed, roughly ground
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1⁄2 cup thick tamarind juice
- 4 large onions, chopped fine
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- wash bitter gourds and remove scaly skin with a potato peeler + rub with a little salt + brown sugar. Put aside for 1 hour.
- (p.s. make sure not to peel off too much skin - it just shouldn't look green any more).
- Heat oil.
- Add onions + all spices apart from the tamarind juice.
- Sauté. DON’T burn the onions.
- When tender, remove from oil and drain the mixture.
- Rub off excess salt+ sugar mixture from bigger gourds or wash off and pat dry with paper towels.
- Make a slit down the bitter gourds lengthwise – remove the seeds + stuffing but don’t discard.
- Stuff ½ the onion mixture inside + add the seeds (only add very little if you don’t like a very bitter taste- u can also place a little tamarind juice inside each bitter gourd).
- Bind by wrapping with thread so no stuffing escapes and fry the karela till golden brown.
- In separate pan, add the remaining onion mixture + tamarind juice + a little oil + stuffed bitter gourds.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes Serve.