Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These are great in a smoker or roasted in the oven. Just the right amount of smoke and fire!
Make and share this Stuffed Jalapenos (Abt's) recipe from Food.com.
- 36 -40 jalapeno peppers
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces shredded cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons dehydrated onion
- your favorite barbecue rub
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 lb sliced bacon, cut in half
- Fry the sausage with the onion, rub, garlic and liquid smoke until the sausage is done. Drain well and let cool a bit. mix the sausage in a bowl with the cheese and cream cheese and set aside. Prepare smoker and set / adjust to 250 degrees or preheat oven to 300 degrees. You can either clean the jalapenos by cutting the stem end off and cleaning out the seeds and ribs and standing them in a pepper rack (recommended) or slice them in half lengthwise, removing the seeds and ribs and "canoeing" them. Stuff each pepper until filling is level with top edge of pepper. For vertical peppers lay one piece of bacon over the top of each and fasten with a toothpick and set them in the holes of a pepper roaster. For canoe style, lay a piece of bacon over the top of each and lay out on a baking sheet. Put into smoker and cook for 3-4 hours or bake in oven for 2-3 hours. At end of roasting time turn on broiler and broil long enough to crisp the bacon.