These delicious appetizers were a hit at our Easter Sunday potluck Brunch. I was pleased to find the recipe was in one of our local cook books 'A Taste Of Heaven' and surprisingly a recipe I had been thinking of trying. Delicious, easy and a crowd pleaser! I find putting them on a cookie sheet and heating through in a 350 oven make for a marvelous hot appetizer. Also excellent at room temperature.
- 1 (18 count) package mini pita pockets (Cut in half)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 8 slices bacon (cooked cooled and crumbled)
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup jalapeno peppers, finely chopped or 1⁄3 cup use a small 4 1/2 ounce jar of garlic and jalapeno puree
- Cook bacon, cool and crumble.
- Cut mini pitas in half with scissors.
- In bowl microwave margarine and onions until soft - about 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and blend with mixer until creamy, fold in crumbled bacon, tomato and peppers and stuff into pitas.
- NOTE instead of the jalapeno peppers you may use a small jar (just under 4 1/2 ounces)of garlic and jalapeno puree, which is my favorite way of preparing these. This also makes a terrific dip.