Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
These delicious appetizers were a hit at our Easter Sunday potluck Brunch. I was pleased to find the recipe was in one of our local cook books 'A Taste Of Heaven' and surprisingly a recipe I had been thinking of trying. Delicious, easy and a crowd pleaser! I find putting them on a cookie sheet and heating through in a 350 oven make for a marvelous hot appetizer. Also excellent at room temperature.
- 1 (18 count) package mini pita pockets (Cut in half)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 8 slices bacon (cooked cooled and crumbled)
- 1 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup jalapeno peppers, finely chopped or 1⁄3 cup use a small 4 1/2 ounce jar of garlic and jalapeno puree
- Cook bacon, cool and crumble.
- Cut mini pitas in half with scissors.
- In bowl microwave margarine and onions until soft - about 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and blend with mixer until creamy, fold in crumbled bacon, tomato and peppers and stuff into pitas.
- NOTE instead of the jalapeno peppers you may use a small jar (just under 4 1/2 ounces)of garlic and jalapeno puree, which is my favorite way of preparing these. This also makes a terrific dip.
I made this for a church gathering this evening. Everyone really enjoyed them, and I came home with an empty platter. Then a friend who is in charge of the ladies Bible study asked if I would make a batch up for tomorrow. So, as you can see, I will definitely be making these again. Thanks for posting this very simple yet tasty recipe. Made and reviewed for the June 2010 AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
I made these for the Superbowl to bring to my neighbors. They were totally enjoyed by everyone, and everyone was standing around asking who made them and if anyone had the recipe. I guess you know they were loved by us all. Touchdown here! Thank you!
These little treats are great. I did use the garlic and jalapeno puree. Whipped up in no time and an empty platter not long after. I did divide the cream cheese mixture and added more garic and jalapeno puree to half, and less to the other half. A real croud pleaser. Thanks Gerry!