Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my families favorite stuffed jalapeño pepper recipe. The length of time the peppers are baked changes the degree of spice the peppers will have. The cooking time is for mild, shorter bake times will result in spicier peppers. These can also be frozen before dipping in egg and bread crumbs for use at a later date. Let thaw completely before breading.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb fresh jalapeno
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Cut a slice in the side of each pepper (running from stem to tip, do not cut peppers in half). Scoop out seeds and discard.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cheeses and seasonings; mix well.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoonfuls into each pepper half.
- Dip each stuffed pepper in egg then roll in bread crumbs.
- Place on greased baking pan and bake uncovered at 300°F.
- Bake 20 minutes for spicy flavor, 30 minutes for medium, and 40 minutes for mild.
- HINT: When cutting and seeding hot peppers, use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your face.