Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
Close your eyes - it's St. Mark's Square. You could add Salami or Mortadella if you would like.
- 1 loaf unsliced crusty French bread
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bunches spinach, washed,stems removed,steamed,wrung dry
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 8 anchovy fillets, cut
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Cut top from bread lengthwise and sit aside.
- Carefully scoop out the inside of the loaf.
- Tear scooped bread into small pieces.
- Heat butter and oil until bubbly.
- Add garlic and anchovies stir 30 seconds.
- Add spinach, artichoke hears, parsley, and torn bread.
- Toss lightly.
- Take off heat.
- Add cheese, capers, tarragon, and basil.
- Mix well.
- Taste for seasoning; add salt and pepper as needed.
- Pack into bread shell, replace top.
- Wrap tightly in foil.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap, drizzle some additional olive oil on the top.
- Bake additional 5 minutes uncovered.
- Slice at about 1 1/2 inches on the bias for appetiser or cut in quarters for lunch.
Really good, even better with some extras! I added some onion, salami, and kalamata olives. Next time I'm going to try some Italian diced tomatoes in their juice to try and make the sandwhich a little less dry.