Recipe by VNess
Tasty, simple, and really not too bad for ya (even if you opt for the full-fat cheese and breadcrumb crust)
Top Review by Princess Tomato
I'm not going to rate this with stars, because I had to change the recipe (leaving out two ingredients), so I don't think it's fair. I'll just leave some comments instead. I really didn't care for this. Something in the herbed cheese was REALLY strong and overpowered it. I don't think it was the garlic...maybe the chives? Of course, it could have been using fat-free cheese. Trying to cut calories and fat, so I've been subbing lately, but not yet used to it. I also had to leave off the walnuts (allergy) and didn't have basil leaves or spinach leaves. I did like the crust, and I think it's just a personal preference. I might try it again and use regular cream cheese and leave out the parsley and chives.
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half (1/2-pound each)
- fresh basil leaf (or other green, beet green, swiss chard, spinach)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 1⁄2 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
- 3 teaspoons fresh chives, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Put each chicken breast half between two layers of plastic wrap, on a chopping board, and use a meat mallet to pound until 1/4-inch thick.
- Dip each basil (or other bitter green) leaf in boiling water, drain and set aside.
- Mixing together the Herbed Cheese ingredients mentioned above. Mix the walnuts into the cheese mixture, set aside.
- Lay the chicken breasts flat, season each side with salt and pepper. Spread the cheese-walnut mixture over each breast, covering the surface of the breasts. Layer on the basil leaves. Starting at the shortest end of the chicken breast, roll up as tightly as possible and tuck in the ends to form a neat roll. Secure each breast with 2 toothpicks.
- If you chose to go for a crust (see ingredients below), put flour, beaten egg, and bread crumbs combined with the Parmesan cheese on to 3 separate flat dishes. Dredge each chicken breast roll first in the flour, then the egg, and finally the Parmesan bread crumbs. (Skip this step if you are going low carb and/or gluten-free). Optional Breadcrumb crust 1/3 cup bread crumbs 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese 1 egg, beaten well Salt & Pepper.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a greased baking dish, seam side down. Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes, depending on the size of the breast, until the internal temperature is 165°F, the juices run clear, and the chicken is slightly browned.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.