Recipe by KathyP53
Don't bother with anything other than local, home grown tomatoes, hopefully an heirloom variety. It's just not the same!
- 6 -12 heirloom tomatoes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 lb cremini mushroom, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 2 cups lightly toasted breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup grated fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Reheat oven to 375 degrees. Using paring knife, core tomatoes. Scoop out seeds with spoon. Season inside of tomatoes with salt and black pepper. Set tomatoes, cut side down, on plate.
- In saute pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion; cook 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and black pepper, cook 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add sausage and red pepper flakes; cook, breaking sausage into small pieces, until cooked through, 3-5 minutes. Transfer sausage mixture to bowl; cool 10 minutes.
- Stir oregano, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup cheese and parsley into sausage mixture. Stuff tomatoes with filling; place in baking dish. Sprinkle tomatoes with 1/4 cup cheese, dividing evenly. Drizzle oil over tomatoes.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Let staqnd 5 minutes before serving.