Recipe by papergoddess
From a 1969 issue of Better Homes and Gardens Meat Cookbook. Posted in reply to a request.
Top Review by GinnyP
Delicious and a nice change from other ground beef dishes. Could be my oven, but 70 minutes was a tad too long. The only other change I will make next time is to add more cheese. Lots more. Just personal preference. : ) Thank you, this was wonderful. I even made it gluten-free with my own bread. Kind of like an inside out cheeseburger. lol
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread, 1/4 inch cubes,toasted
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 4 ounces sharp American cheese, shredded,divided (1 cup, Swiss cheese is good with this, too)
Directions See How It's Made
- combine onion and 1/3 cup water in saucepan; simmer, covered, about 5 minutes.
- Add bread cubes and toss.
- Combine meat, egg, seasonings and a dash of pepper.
- On waxed paper, pat meat into a 14" X 8" rectangle.
- Spread bread mixture over meat; sprinkle with 3/4 cup of cheese.
- Starting at narrow end, roll meat mixture.
- Place seam-side-down in a sprayed loaf pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 70 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese; bake until melted.