Unique and tasty meal-buns may be frozen after cooking for great make-ahead lunch. Save prep time by purchasing pre-packaged shredded cabbage from your local produce market. Recipe is for four sandwiches-however, I make six smaller sandwiches and find them more enjoyable.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb frozen white bread dough, thawed (equals 2 loaves)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- kosher salt (optional)
- cracked pepper (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In 10 inch skillet, brown beef over medium heat.
- 3Drain fat and add cabbage, onions, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- 4Cook until cabbage is crisp/tender (5 minutes).
- 5Add cheese and ketchup.
- 6Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 7Divide each bread loaf into 4 equal pieces.
- 8Roll dough out on lightly floured surface into a 6 inch circle.
- 9Place 1/2 C of beef mixture into center of each circle.
- 10Pinch the edges of the dough together to enclose beef and form into bun shape.
- 11Seam side down, place filled bun on greased cookie sheet.
- 12In small bowl, mix egg and milk.
- 13Brush top of bun with egg mixture.
- 14Sprinkle top with a bit of kosher salt and cracked pepper if desired.
- 15Bake for 25-30 minutes or until browned.
- 16Serve with ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce and relish if desired.
- 17TIP-buns can be frozen after cooking.
- 18To prepare frozen buns, remove from freezer-wrap in foil and place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Hamburger-Cabbage Buns (Runzas or Bierocks)
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.3
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 153.8 mg
- Sodium 737.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 31.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen white bread dough