Recipe by TGirl,RN
Unique and tasty meal-buns may be frozen after cooking for great make-ahead lunch. Save prep time by purchasing pre-packaged shredded cabbage from your local produce market. Recipe is for four sandwiches-however, I make six smaller sandwiches and find them more enjoyable.
Top Review by peppermintkitty
This was very good! I only made 2 changes which I believe neither affected the taste. I made exactly as stated except I used home made bread dough and I rolled the whole loaf into a long rectangle, filled, folded dough over and baked for 25 minutes. It reminded me of beirox (mp) I served this with garlic mashed potatoes, cole slaw and pumpkin pie. Thanks for posting!!
- 1 lb frozen white bread dough, thawed (equals 2 loaves)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley (fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- kosher salt (optional)
- cracked pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In 10 inch skillet, brown beef over medium heat.
- Drain fat and add cabbage, onions, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cook until cabbage is crisp/tender (5 minutes).
- Add cheese and ketchup.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Divide each bread loaf into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured surface into a 6 inch circle.
- Place 1/2 C of beef mixture into center of each circle.
- Pinch the edges of the dough together to enclose beef and form into bun shape.
- Seam side down, place filled bun on greased cookie sheet.
- In small bowl, mix egg and milk.
- Brush top of bun with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle top with a bit of kosher salt and cracked pepper if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until browned.
- Serve with ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce and relish if desired.
- TIP-buns can be frozen after cooking.
- To prepare frozen buns, remove from freezer-wrap in foil and place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until heated through.