Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Mexican variation on stuffed peppers. Vegetarian and delicious!
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup rice (I use brown rice for more texture)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Fill a large pot half-full of water; bring to boiling.
- Meanwhile, cut tops from green peppers; remove seeds. Chop sweet pepper tops; set aside.
- Add whole peppers to boiling water; return to boiling. Reduce heat and cook, covered, 4-5 minutes or til just tender.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan combine pepper tops, black beans, corn, onion, uncooked rice, green chiles, salt and 1 cup water. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or til rice is tender.
- Stir in cilantro and half the cheese; toss to mix. If necessary. let rice stand til water is absorbed.
- Fill sweet peppers with rice mixture. Place in a 2 qt square baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400°F oven about 15 minutes or til cheese melts.