Recipe by Suburban Grandma
This is a great vegetarian recipe with lots of flavor. You can use brown rice for a healthier version, instead of the traditional white rice. Also a great recipe for lent season on meatless Fridays. See picture on :http://suburbangrandma.com/recipes/stuffed-peppers-with-rice-and-mushrooms-%E2%80%93-vegetarian-recipe/
- 4 green peppers
- 3 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil (Canola or Vegetable)
- 1 cup rice (cooked)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the peppers under warm running water.
- Cut a slice from a stem end of each pepper (about ½ inch thick).
- Remove the core, white veins, and seeds.
- Fill a medium size pot with water and bring to boil.
- Place the peppers, and the tops, into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove peppers and cool.
- Arrange peppers in a shallow baking dish.
- Sauté chopped onions in canola oil to a golden color.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Mix the rice and mushrooms, and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fill the peppers with the rice filling.
- Place the pepper top slices over the filling.
- Pour ¼ cup of vegetable broth into each pepper, and pour the remaining broth into the pan.
- Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees F, for 30 minutes.