Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
If you love stuffed green peppers you will LOVE this soup.
- 907.18 g hamburger
- 473.18 ml uncooked rice (Instant or Minute Rice)
- 4 green peppers (chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 stalk celery (chopped)
- 226.79 g fresh mushrooms (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 (3288.54 g) can tomato sauce
- 822.13 g can diced tomatoes
- 29.58 ml fresh basil (minced) or 9.85 ml dried basil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a 12" skillet cook hamburger and onion for 10 minutes or until meat is browned and no longer pink.
- Add garlic and cook just until fragrent. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add uncooked rice, cover and remove from heat for 5 minutes, fluff with fork and set aside.
- In 6-quart crockpot or dutch oven add hamburger mixture, green peppers, celery, mushrooms, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cook at low temperature just until peppers are softened but still have a little crunch to them.
- Add rice and serve.
I halved the recipe and it was probably still 8 servings so this makes TONS of food, but it was great.
Excellent soup! I love that it cooks away in the crock pot while you're free to do other things. I ended up setting my crock pot to high and cooking it for approx 3 hours. I did this at breakfast time and it was ready for our lunch. I halved the recipe it was PLENTY! In fact, I don't think the full recipe would have fit into my large crock pot! I subbed out the hamburger and tried it with Morning Star veggie crumbles instead. It worked great!
Delicious! I used both yellow and green bell peppers and the tripack of veal, pork and beef as that is the meat combo I love in stuffed peppers. I also used brown rice. It was so nice to come home to the amazingly yummy hearty soup. Great idea! Made for Help A Naked Recipe.