Recipe by AmyZoe
This was a great way to use up leftover rice. I found this recipe as an alternative to stuffed peppers, but much faster. This is tasty and fast to make with ingredients you have on hand. Recipe courtesy of All You May 2013 and Whitney Coy of Lancaster, Ohio.
Top Review by weekend cooker
This made for a very nice dinner. I used the Hot Italian Sausage, omitted the salt, and added a teaspoon chili powder. Overall taste presentation, and flavors were good, and it does make an excellent alternative to stuffed peppers. I would think any meat would work very well in this. Had 4 thumbs up. Tagged and made for Ingredient Tag.
- 1 lb sweet sausage (casings removed) or 1 lb hot Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 29 ounces tomatoes (with juice)
- 45 ounces tomato sauce
- 30 ounces corn, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (I used fresh garlic)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. (I skipped this step and found I didn't need to worry about anything spilling anywhere by using a larger pan).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, stirring to break up chunks, until browned, 4 or 5 minutes. Put in bowl and wipe out skillet.
- Warm oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until peppers are just tender.
- Stir in sausage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once. Add rice.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13inch baking dish and place on baking sheet. (I found by putting the entire mixture into an 11x14" pan there was enough room, and I didn't need to dirty another dish or waste foil).
- Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheddar.
- Return to oven and bake until cheese melts, about 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.