This was a great way to use up leftover rice. I found this recipe as an alternative to stuffed peppers, but much faster. This is tasty and fast to make with ingredients you have on hand. Recipe courtesy of All You May 2013 and Whitney Coy of Lancaster, Ohio.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet sausage (casings removed) or 1 lb hot Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 29 ounces tomatoes (with juice)
- 45 ounces tomato sauce
- 30 ounces corn, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I used fresh garlic)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. (I skipped this step and found I didn't need to worry about anything spilling anywhere by using a larger pan).
- 2In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, stirring to break up chunks, until browned, 4 or 5 minutes. Put in bowl and wipe out skillet.
- 3Warm oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until peppers are just tender.
- 4Stir in sausage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- 5Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 6Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once. Add rice.
- 7Pour mixture into a 9x13inch baking dish and place on baking sheet. (I found by putting the entire mixture into an 11x14" pan there was enough room, and I didn't need to dirty another dish or waste foil).
- 8Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- 9Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheddar.
- 10Return to oven and bake until cheese melts, about 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- 11Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Green Pepper Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (582 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.4
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.6 mg
- Sodium 1644.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 28.1 g