Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Recipe came from Dale L. Middleman of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Found on my very first internet search. Tried it and I liked it.
- 1 quart water
- 5 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup dehydrated onion
- 1⁄2-1 bunch celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup beef base
- 3 cups white rice, uncooked and divided
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1 (32 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- In large soup pot bring water to boil.
- Add peppers, onions, celery, and base.
- Cook for about 20 minute or until vegetables begin to soften.
- In separate pan, cook 1-1/2 cups of the rice.
- Pan fry ground beef in medium skillet. When cooked through, discard grease.
- Combine meat with cooked rice, then add to soup pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients to soup pot except the remaining 1-1/2 cups of rice.
- Simmer until celery and peppers are cooked through, about 20 minute Add remaining rice and cook over low boil until rice is done,about 10 minute.
- Makes about 12 large servings.
- Note: This is a very thick soup. For a thinner consistency, add more stock or juice.