Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
You can blanch the peppers ahead of time for 3 min in boiling water and then freeze them for later use.
- 4 medium green peppers, washed
- 1 lb lean beef, ground
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking white rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup water or 1⁄3 cup milk or 1⁄3 cup tomato juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 8 ounces tomato sauce with onion
- Cut green pepper in half lengthwise; remove core and seeds.
- Place peppers, hollow-side-up, in a shallow, heat-resistant, non-metallic baking dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, crumble beef.
- Add rice, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, water, egg and 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon mixture into pepper halves.
- Spoon remaining tomato sauce over peppers.
- Heat, covered loosely with wax paper, 14 minutes in Micro- wave Oven or until meat is cooked and peppers are as tender as desired.
- Allow to stand 4 minutes, covered, before serving.