1/1 Photo of Stuffed Grape Leaves - Warak Einab
Added for ZWT6: North African/Middle Eastern
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs uncooked ground beef or 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb
- 16 ounces tomato sauce, diced tomatoes or 2 1/2 cups peeled diced tomatoes
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (16 ounce) jar grape leaves or 1 lb fresh grape leaves
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1Remove the grape leaves from the jar and soak for a few hours in cold water so they are not too salty.
- 2While the grape leaves are soaking, mix the ground beef, tomato sauce, rice, coriander, parsley, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. The mixing is best done with your hands.
- 3Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to stuff the leaves.
- 4When the grape leaves have soaked for long enough, drain them and and dry with paper towels. Remove the stems and place shiny side down.
- 5Put approximately 1 tbsp of the meat mixture towards the bottom of the leaf. Fold in sides, and roll together firmly, but leaving a bit of room for the rice to expand. Continue until all leaves are stuffed.
- 6Place the bundles in the bottom of a dutch oven side-by-side in circular layers. Place two lemon slices between the layers of bundles.
- 7Put a weight, such as a ceramic plate, on top of the grape leaves to prevent them from moving.
- 8Fill the pot with enough water to cover the leaves.
- 9Simmer and cook on low for 30 minutes, or until rice is done.
- 10When the rice is done, remove the bundles from the pot and serve.
Browse Our Top Southwest Asia (middle East) Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwest Asia (middle East) Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Grape Leaves - Warak Einab
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 834.8
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 115.6 mg
- Sodium 4274.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 44.9 g